HE Old Lewesians are former pupils and staff of the Lewes County Grammar Schools in Lewes, East Sussex, UK. In 1913 the County Council opened the Lewes County Grammar School for Girls (LCGSG). It quickly won recognition for its high standards. Notable among the early headmistresses were Miss Vobes and Miss Moss. The boys grammar school LCGSB was opened in 1930 to rectify the lack of a similar grammar school for boys. For the first thirty years Mr Neville Bradshaw was headmaster and he created a school noted for its high academic and sporting standards and for building its own war memorial chapel. He established the original "Old Lewesians Association", a social body and charity for his former pupils and staff. The girls school had a similar association and both organised reunions from time to time.
In 1969 both grammar schools, which had selected the brightest pupils from primary schools in Lewes and surrounding rural areas, became part of the comprehensive Priory School for the Lewes area. However, the associations continued to hold reunions in Lewes until 2000 for their ex-pupils. With the advent of the internet, the Old Lewesians Organisation was founded in 2000 to provide a focus for Old Lewesians. With more than a thousand members, it has created this website with panoramic photos, school magazines, tales, forums, members list and reunion news. Former pupils and staff of these schools can join and access addresses of former school-friends. There is no subscription. Go to the "Welcome" page and click links to membership application pages for Old-Boys or Old-Girls. We are sure you will much enjoy recalling old days, old friends and old faces.